ON THIS BLOG

Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Dexcom dance

You know, I'll be real with you, I have not been paying attention to the advances in diabetes technology and therapy for basically my entire 'diabetic career'. I started out as an 8-year old, so my parents cared for my diabetes for a few years, and when I took over in my early teens neither me nor them really looked into what was developing and happening. 

It was only earlier this year, when I also found that there are people out the on the world wide web that know exactly what I'm going through, that I realised that while there's no cure yet, there are amazing devices and therapy out there that will significantly better my overall health.

The first and most attractive one, continuos glucose monitors (CGM)! My mind was blown, firstly by how little I felt I knew about my diabetes and the advances in research. Secondly by this device that could do a very good job of acting as part of my pancreas!

Since then I've spent hours on google, tumblr, instagram, DOC forums, reading journals and research, asking questions of people who use a CGM, finding out which is the most reliable one. And my heart is now set. On a shiny little rectangle - Dexcom G4. Thus started, the Dexcom dance.

First step of the dance, finding out the staggering cost, which is in no way covered by public or private health care in Australia. 

Second step, showing husband the incredibleness of the technology and research involved in CGMs and Dexcom. Lucky for me, I have a husband who very much cares about my health, and doesn't question whether or not it is worth the cost.

Third step, over coming the staggering cost and deciding that the health benefits definitely far outweigh the extreme stretch our budget will need to take.

And finally the current and fourth step, get in touch with the Dexcom rep here in Australia, meet with her and see this gadget in real life! 

I had a lovely meeting with the rep, she was type 1 herself and used a Dexcom G4 and Animas Vibe CGM/pump combination which she took the time to show me around, and left me with a lot of information booklets, and a hunger in my diabetic soul for my very own CGM.

There are many diabetes-dances to dance, the up and downs of lows and highs, the never ending HbA1c dance, or if you are a parent of a type 1 child, the inserting a new pump/CGM site dance. But I am loving dancing this particular dance, because I know it's headed towards a better control of my blood sugar, and overall better health. And that, as I'm sure most diabetics can relate to, is all I really want.

(and soon, you can call me half-bionic-woman)

No comments:

Post a Comment